Apparently there is no rest for the wicked. Even though it is the winter break I have been given some homework to do. I’ve been tagged by Naryn Searcy (@nsearcy17) in this post. This is a blog meme that has been bouncing around the edu-blogosphere for the last while. For the task you are asked to include:
11 Random facts about yourself
11 questions asked by another
11 question that you ask another 11 people in your PLN
It looks like a great way to get to know those in your PLN a little better, be introduced to new people, and (in my case at least) serve as an impetus to get back at blogging.
So here goes…
11 Random Facts about Me
- I’m good at putting out small fires (stovetop fires, fondue fire, bedroom curtains on fire, student desk on fire).
- I was born close to the geographic centre of BC.
- When I was little I thought that my grandparents were wanted by the FBI.
- My daily commute used to include driving past three maximum security prisons (Kingston Penitentiary, the Prison for Women, and Millhaven) as well as Collins Bay Institution.
- On that same commute I used to knit while I rode the Glenora Ferry.
- When I taught biology at South Okanagan Secondary School I had a real human skeleton in my classroom.
- The only student who ever fainted in my class did so when I was showing her the above mentioned skeleton.
- My first car was a 1982 Pontiac Acadian Diesel. Yes, a diesel. No, it was not wicked fast.
- I enjoy playing golf, so feel free to treat me to a round
- I am allergic to cats and dogs.
- I love running along Skaha or Okanagan Lakes during the fall when the sun is blazing and the sky is blue.
11 Questions asked by Naryn Searcy (here)
- How do you balance time spent on face to face relationships in your own district vs online relationships?
This is an area I have to work on as I swing from one extreme to another.
- Where do you want to go in the world that you haven’t been yet?
- Are you a morning or night person?
- What was the last book you read/movie you watched or song you listened to?
Book: The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
Song: The Imperial March (Darth Vader’s theme). My kids are always humming this.
- In what school/position do you think you “grew up” as an educator (really figured out how you were going to fill the role of a teacher/administrator etc.) ?
As a distributed learning teacher at the Home Learners’ Program / ConnectEd. In this position I got a much better understanding of how the school system works. I was also exposed to a much wider variety of student learners and their needs.
- What is one thing you would miss if you had to leave the community you currently live in?
My wonderful neighbours.
- What is the source you rely on most for news about what’s going on in the world?
The CBC. I use other sources too, but this is my main source.
- What is your favourite movie and why?
My favourite movie is Pulp Fiction. The characters are interesting, it has a fabulous cast, and I love the dark humour and how the different stories intersect. There are also images from the film that really stick with you such as when Uma Thurman’s character is administered adrenalin via a syringe directly to her heart.
- Who will win the Super Bowl and Stanley Cup this year?
I don’t follow football, so no idea there. As for the Stanley Cup I’m going to say Chicago.
- If your son/daughter wanted to enter the field of education right now, would you encourage them?
I would definitely not encourage either of my kids to enter the field of education. Though I enjoy teaching I do not see public education in BC improving anytime soon, it is just going to become more and more frustrating to be a teacher in this system.
- What is a good moment from 2013?
Spending time at Long Beach on Vancouver Island with my husband and family this summer.
11 Questions for Others
- What lead to you becoming an educator?
- If you hadn’t become an educator, what would you have done instead?
- Are you concerned about student privacy and security with regards to cloud computing? For example, do you have any reservations about students using Google Apps or other cloud based services?
- What was the first ‘real’ job that you had?
- What is your current favourite book, movie and / or album?
- What did you always want to be when you grew up?
- What is the strangest food that you’ve ever eaten?
- If you could sit down and talk with any person, living or dead, who would it be and why.
- How far away do you live from where you grew up?
- What is your favourite way to unplug and unwind?
- Salty or sweet?
Tag, You’re It!
- Errin Gregory @ErrinGreg
- Phil Macoun @pmacoun
- Judith King @judithaking
- Jodie Reeder @JodieR0808
- Starleigh Grass @starleigh_grass
- Darcy Mullin @darcymullin
- Todd Manuel @toddmanuel_67
- Shawn Ram @sram_socrates
- David Truss @datruss
- Lisa Read @LisaRead
- YOU! If you are reading this and are interested in the meme, consider yourself tagged. Just remember to link back here so that I can read your post.
Here’s how it works:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
Post back here with a link after you write this. Go on, you have homework to do.